Time to nominate students, teachers, parents for Step Up’s Rising Stars Awards
By ROGER MOONEY
It is time to recognize outstanding members of the Step Up For Students family – students, teachers and parents – for their efforts this school year during our annual Rising Stars Awards program.
Each school can nominate up to six individuals, and the first person nominated must be a student.
Those selected will be honored in March and April during ceremonies held in one of 16 locations around the state.
School principals can nominate students for one of the following:
- High Achieving Student Award. Students who excel in academics, arts or athletics.
- Turnaround Student Award. A student who struggled when they first attended your school and has since made dramatic improvements.
- Outstanding Student Character Award. A student who demonstrates outstanding compassion, perseverance, courage, initiative, respect, fairness, integrity, responsibility, honesty or optimism.
Teachers who push students to succeed, who truly represent the power of parent partnerships and focus on building relationships for success or who embrace the importance of continuous improvement and professional development can be nominated for the Exceptional Teacher Award.
Parents or guardians who actively support your school and the education of his or her child are eligible for the Phenomenal Family Member Award.
Deadline for nominations is Jan. 31, 2020 and can be made here.
Before making nominations, please have all necessary information available, including school name, school Florida Department of Education (DOE) number, each nominee’s contact information (name, phone number, email address). Please include a short description of why each person is being nominated.
The Rising Star Award ceremonies are scheduled for the following cities.
- Miami-Dade North: Monday, March 16
- Miami-Dade South: Tuesday, March 17
- Palm Beach: Thursday, March 19
- Broward: Monday, March 23
- Leon: Tuesday, March 24
- Lee: Tuesday, March 24
- Brevard: Wednesday, March 25
- Hillsborough: Wednesday, March 25
- Duval East: Thursday, March 26
- Pinellas: Thursday, March 26
- Duval Central: Monday, March 30
- Volusia: Tuesday, March 31
- Marion: Tuesday, March 31
- Escambia: Wednesday, April 1
- Orange East: Thursday, April 2
- Orange West: Thursday, April 2
Event locations will be announced at a later date.
Roger Mooney, marketing communications manager, can be reached at email@example.com.